China Visa

China Visa

China Visa Types

  • Tourist (L) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for tourism.
  • Business (M) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for business and trade activities.
  • Student (X) Issued to aliens who are going for study, furthering studies.
  • Work (Z) Issued to aliens who are going for a post or employment.
  • Transit (G) Issued to aliens who are going to a third country in transit of PRC.
  • Private Visit (S) Issued to family members of foreigners residing in China for work, study, etc.
  • Family Reunion (Q) Issued to relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence permit residing in PRC.
  • Noncommercial Visit (F) Issued to aliens who are invited to a lecture, scientific-technological & cultural exchanges, study tours, etc.
  • Talent (R) Issued to high-level personnel and much-needed highly talented people.
  • Crew (C) Issued to crewmembers involving international-based transportation by trains, airway and ships and their accompanying family members.
  • Resident (D) Issued to aliens who are going to reside permanently in PRC.
  • Journalist (J-1, J-2) Issued to foreign journalists for the purpose of reporting from PRC.


Do you need a visa to travel to China?

If holding an ordinary passport, you need to apply for a visa for China unless you are covered by China’s visa exemption policy, such as the 24/72/144 hours visa free transit schemes, Hainan 30-day visa-free access, visa exemption for tour groups meeting certain requirements, and visa-free entry for holders of APEC Business Travel Card. It’s worth mention that nationals of countries which have reached mutual visa-exemption agreements with China, like Singapore, Brunei, Japan, Qatar and Armenia, can also enjoy free entry to China. Those who hold a Chinese Temporary Residence Permit don’t need a visa for China either within the Residence Permit’s validity.

How to apply a visa for China?

 Step 1: Read the application requirements carefully and collect all required documents.

 Step 2: Visit the Chinese embassy or consulate in charge of your residence district and submit the application documents. In countries where there are Chinese Visa Application Centers (CVASC), you may need to go to the CVASC. Mail service in some countries is available.

 Step 3: Pay the fee and collect your passport and visa on the date shown on the pick-up slip. If you use mail service, just wait for your mail.

China Embassies

Chinese Embassy in Washington DC, USA
Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada
Chinese Embassy in London, UK
Chinese Embassy in Canberra, Australia
Chinese Embassy in Wellington, New Zealand
 More Chinese Embassies and Consulates
- Last modified on Dec. 30, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Visa
Asked by olubukola from NIGERIA | Jan. 30, 2020 00:55Reply
is submission and interview ongoing in chinese embassy here in nigeria
i am a student and due to the coronavirus in china will i be granted my visa if i go to the chinese embassy and will i be able to do my interview or i will be sent back home
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Jan. 30, 2020 14:30

That is up to the embassy. Currently IIRC they are all closed for the extended Lunar New Year break.
Asked by Muhammad Amin from PAKISTAN | Jan. 29, 2020 12:05Reply
Exit and entry is possible if having old passport with valid student visa and a new passport?
Senario: Hi! Due to present epidemic I have booked my flight on this friday 31-01-2020 I have a old passport with expiration date of march 2020 having valid student visa till september 2020 I have new passport ready to collect from embassy.
Question:-it possible to exit and enter china at this epidemic time having old passport with valid visa and a new passport? And will Chinese visa center will fine me 10,000RMB because we can not be able to apply for visa in next 10days after receiving new passport because I can not apply for visa because unavailablility of university authorities are not present for undiclaired time.
Official suggestion will be appreciated how to avoide fine and make my trip possible.
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Jan. 30, 2020 14:31

You should call the airport's immigration office or visit the airport in person but it probably won't be an issue for you to leave and re-enter.
Asked by Sandra from U.K. | Jan. 28, 2020 11:42Reply
Travelling with a tour company - does that make them ‘the inviter’?
Struggling to complete the visa form as not sure whether to put Planet Cruise (travel agent) or Wendy Wu Tours (connecting land tour of China following cruise to SE Asia).
Both companies refusing/not helpful to help with what hotel we are staying in. Plus not sure if they are my ‘inviter’ to China.
Asked by Claire from CHINA | Jan. 28, 2020 00:59Reply
Can I leave the country and come back if I have a (T) Visa?
I have a stay visa or a temporary visa as I am changing jobs. I have applied for a new visa and I am waiting for it to be processed. Is it possible for me to leave the country and come back within the time period on the visa? If not, would it be possible to leave the country and come back on a tourist visa?
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Jan. 28, 2020 21:52

Any visa (not residence permit) issued within Mainland China will usually cease to be valid once you have left Mainland China for whatever reason, and the processing of your residence permit will also cease. If you want to leave Mainland China during the epidemic then you most likely will need to start the process from scratch after your return.
Asked by Nancy Yee from UNITED STATES | Jan. 26, 2020 17:54Reply
S2 visa for parent in law of US citizen working in China with a work visa
My son in law is a US citizen and has a work visa for China that is for 1 year at a time. He and my daughter have resided in China for the last 5 years. I would like to obtain an S2 visit as I intend to live close by and help with babysitting my grand children. My question is will China grant me a 10 year multiple entry S2 visa if my son in law's work visa is for 1 year.
Answers (1)
Answered by John Doe | Jan. 30, 2020 14:33

They usually will accommodate your request if you clearly indicate that you will be requesting a 10-year visa. However if you were born in HK or have had a HKID in the past then it is much easier to travel on a Home Return Permit which allows you to stay indefinitely in Mainland China.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)