China Embassy in U.K.

 Visa Application Form of PRC
 Application Procedure and Fee

Ambassador: Mr. Liu Xiaoming
Address: 49 Portland Place, London W1B 1JL, UK
Tel: +44-020-72994049 (General Line) 
Office Hours:  09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00, Monday-Friday (except British and Chinese Holidays)
Website: http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in UK

Address: 31 Portland Place, London W1B 1QD
Tel: +44-020-76311430 (Answer phone 09:00-12:00, 14:00-16:00)
Fax: +44-020-74369056
Email: visa@chinese-embassy.org.uk
Office Hours: 09:00-12:00 Monday-Friday (except holidays)
The Station Nearby: Great Portland Street Station, Regent's Park Station , Oxford Street Station

Consular Districts of Chinese Embassy/Consulates in UK

Embassy/Consulate General Consular Districts
Embassy of PRC in London Except the consular district of Consulates in Manchester, Edinburgh, other regions are the consular jurisdiction of the Embassy in London.
Consulate General of PRC in Edinburgh Scotland, Northern Ireland
Consulate General of PRC in Manchester Greater Manchester, Durham, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Merseyside, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear

Notice for Application

CVASC is responsible for receiving applications to mainland China from all ordinary passport holders who are UK citizens and citizens of other countries. It collects visa fees on behalf of the Embassy and the Consulate General. Currently, there are three branches in London, Manchester and Edinburgh. The applicants who apply in London are required to make online appointment at http://www.visaforchina.org/. If they apply in Manchester and Edinburgh, they can directly submit their applications to the centers. However, they are still strongly advised to make online appointment in advance to guarantee a short waiting time.

For people who apply for Diplomatic/Service/Courtesy Visa, Visa and Enter Permit to Hong Kong/Macao, they still submit their application to the embassy or consulate directly. 

CVASC in London

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: 12 Old Jewry, London, EC2R 8DP
Tel: 020-7710 6000
Fax: 020-7710 6001
E-mail: ukcentre@visaforchina.org

CVASC in Manchester

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: First Floor, 75 Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3HR
Tell: 016-1236 1070
Fax: 016-1244 5883
Email: manchestercentre@visaforchina.org

CVASC in Edinburgh

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: 2nd Floor, Exchange Tower,19 Canning Street, City of Edinburgh, EH3 8EG
Tel: 0131 2292519     
Fax: 0131 2291598
E-mail:  edinburghcentre@visaforchina.org

Major Visa Types & Requirements

Types Purpose
Tourist (L) It is issued for an alien who comes to PRC for sight-seeing.
Business (M) It is issued to those who intend to go there for commercial and trade activities.
Noncommercial Visit (F) It is issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Employment/Work (Z) It is issued for applicants going to PRC for employment or work.
Student (X)

It is issued for an alien who comes to PRC for study.
X1 is for those who plan to stay for more than 6 months, while X2 is issued for short stay.

Private Visit (S) It is issued to family members who intend to visit the foreigners with Work Z or student X in PRC, or to those who intend to go to PRC for other private affairs.
Family Reunion (Q) It is issued to family members of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence in PRC.
Transit (G) It is issued for applicants going to PRC for transit to another country/region.
Hong Kong SAR & Macao SAR Visas 1. UK citizens are exempt from Hong Kong visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing for less than 180 days.
2. UK citizens are exempt from Macao visa for up to 180 days.

 Procedure for Application at CVASC      Visa Fees
 UK citizens can now apply for a 10-year China visa with multiple entries, if they plan to visit China for the purposes of tourism, commercial or business activities, and short-term family visits. Compared with regular visas, the required documents are the same while the price is higher.

Meanwhile, the 5-year multiple-entry China visa is now also available for UK citizens.

2020 Holiday Schedule of the CVASC in London

Festival Date Day
New Year's Day January 1 Wednesday
Chinese New Year January 24 - 27 Friday - Monday
Good Friday April 10 Friday
Easter Monday April 13 Monday
International Labor's Day May 1 Friday
Early May Bank Holiday May 8 Friday
Spring Bank Holiday May 25 Monday
Summer Bank Holiday August 31 Monday
Chinese National Day October 1 - 3 Thursday - Saturday
Christmas Eve December 24 Thursday
Christmas Day December 25 Friday
Boxing Day December 26 Saturday
Note: The holiday arrangement of the CVASC may be different. Please log on their official website for detailed holiday notice.

 Please contact Embassy of U.K. in China if British are in problems there. 

 Recommended Tours:
China Tours from UK
China Tour from London UK
China Tour from Manchester UK

 Other Chinese Embassies in Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus
- Last modified on Dec. 23, 2019 -
Questions & Answers on China Embassy in U.K.
Asked by Alan from UK | Jan. 31, 2020 03:23Reply
Visas for Cruise stop offs in china
We board a cruise in Singapore which will stop for oversight stays in Shanghai and Hong Kong before sailing on to Sth Korea and Japan. We can get off the boat at any time while in port but will be sleeping on the cruise ship. Do we need visas for this type of visited?
Asked by Keith Harries from UNITED KINGDOM | Jan. 18, 2020 04:38Reply
What type of visa do I need
My wife and I are travelling from Singapore to Shanghai in September. Staying 1 night in a hotel, then boarding a cruise for 7 nights. On return we stay 1 night in a hotel before catching a flight home. Please could you tell me what type of visa we need. Thanks
Answers (1)
Answered by Sabrina from UNITED KINGDOM | Jan. 19, 2020 00:05

Keith, if your trip Singapore - Shanghai - another country (not Singapore nor a city in China) - Shanghai - UK, you can enjoy visa-free transit for both times in Shanghai.
Asked by KRISHAN GUPTA from UNITED KINGDOM | Jan. 17, 2020 13:20Reply
Visa for SHEKOU
My wife and I are British Citizens and are going to Hong Kong and shekou on a MSC Cruise ship in March 2020. Docking at Hong Kong port for 2-days and then at Shekou for 9-10 hours. Will we need to apply for the Visa as we shall sail then towards Japan. Or the Visa will be stamped on the ship on arrival?
Answers (1)
Answered by Lydia from UNITED KINGDOM | Jan. 19, 2020 00:03

You don't need a visa as your trip is covered by the 24h visa-free transit.
Asked by Pauline from UK | Jan. 15, 2020 03:06Reply
We are travelling to shanghai in February and will stay in hotel for 3 nights and then board an msc
We are arriving in Shanghai on 12 February and boarding msc cruise ship on 13 February and not leaving shanghai till 14 February what visa is required and cost please
Answers (1)
Answered by Andrew from AUSTRALIA | Jan. 15, 2020 19:16

Pauline, if you arrive in Shanghai from Country A, and then leave Shanghai directly for Country B, plus A and B are different, you will be eligible for the 144h visa-free transit in Shanghai.
Asked by Keith from UNITED KINGDOM | Jan. 11, 2020 02:22Reply
Hi My wife and I are doing a China Tour and 3 night river cruise then on to japan
Hi My wife and I are doing an escorted 10 day China Tour and 3 night river cruise then on to japan on a cruise ship We fly from UK to Beijing but when we return from Japan to Shanghai we are transported straight to the airport for our flight home Could you please tell me what visa will we need
Answers (1)
Answered by Victor from UNITED KINGDOM | Jan. 12, 2020 23:00

Keith, you need to get a single-entry visa for this trip. However, as the fees for single-entry and double-entry visas are the same for UK citizens, I advise you to apply for a double-entry one.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)